The true spirit of America is found in its people, who both embrace their differences and find their common ground. These 101 stories showcase an America filled with good people who volunteer in their communities, help their neighbors, and pride themselves on doing the right thing.
This is the America that we know and love, the one filled with citizens, new and old, who work hard, perform random acts of kindness, and see a path to a better future.
- The African American woman who takes comfort in recalling that her mother, as a child in the segregated South, was welcomed to the front of the bus by her white neighbors.
- The friendship that developed between a Florida mosque and the elderly Jewish residents of a highrise next door after a hurricane knocked out power and members of the mosque carried food and water to the stranded residents for days.
- The injured football coach who gave half the proceeds from a town fundraiser for his benefit to another injured resident who needed the money as well.
- The Ferguson, Missouri restaurant that was protected from looting by a chain of its customers standing arm in arm.
- The couple who bought a gift card for a struggling military family in a restaurant, only to discover other patrons had already done the same.
- The Latin American immigrant who cleaned houses and scraped together money for her education, becoming California State Teacher of the Year.
… and 95 more stories that will make you proud to be an American.