Hundreds of incredible origin stories, ranging from everyday items to social customs to history-altering inventions.
Uncle John’s Where’d That Come From? delivers the true stories behind all sorts of things, even things you never thought of as having origins. Covering a wide range of topics--pop culture, science, sports, politics, customs, superstitions, language, and more--you’ll discover the most engrossing origin stories from the BRI’s deep archives, as well as some all-new “origin”al material! Find out about…
- Why the number seven is considered lucky
- An airplane in ancient Egypt, and other “OOPAs” (Out Of Place Artifacts)
- Who put the hole in a doughnut, the K in K-mart, and the e in e-book
- Automotive firsts--including the gas pump, the solar-powered car, and the drag race
- The ancient games that led to golf, and the story of the boomerang
- Louis Perrier, Earl Grey, Mrs. Paul, and other tasty namesakes
- The origins of toothpaste, the color purple, the Ming Dynasty, Valentine’s Day, the recycle symbol, Captain Kirk, “gobbledygook,” and much, much more!