"What is Real?" asked the Rabbit one day. . . .
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. ". . . it doesn't happen to people who break easily or have sharp edges or who have to be carefully kept . . . once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
The moral of The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams, captured in the words of the wise old Skin Horse, inspired psychotherapist and professor Toni Raiten-D'Antonio's bestseller The Velveteen Principles. It also provides one of the cornerstone concepts—that individuality makes every woman uniquely valuable—for her much-awaited second book, The Velveteen Principles for Women.
Drawing from many sources—the stories of devoted readers, students, therapy clients, and even her own life—the author offers a provocative, inspiring, and practical guide for women who want to be Real. With wit, wisdom, and insight, she teaches readers how they can:
- Identify the toxic messages in modern society
- Resist being ruled by OPO (Other People’s Opinions)
- Break the powerful should/shame cycle
- Avoid the POW (Perfect Object Woman) trap
- Custom-design a Real life and become truly happy
- Build loving relationships
All the tools for creating a Real life are here in The Velveteen Principles for Women
. Keen observations shine light on the forces that promote generic concepts of beauty and happiness. Stories from the lives of Real women offer inspiration. Emotionally powerful exercises help you find your Real values and passions. And the Principles—empathy, generosity, courage, ethics and more—are signposts leading to love and fulfillment. The Velveteen Principles for Women
is a motivational guidebook for those who want to identify the sources of their unhappiness and become genuinely Real themselves. It is essential reading for women who want to free themselves from self-doubt, silence their inner critics, and live as the Real, unique, valuable women they are meant to be. Sales Points
- The Velveteen Principles, Toni Raiten-D'Antonio's first book, sold over 70,000 copies
- The Velveteen Principles had successful tie-ins including The Velveteen Collection, The Velveteen Principles Gift Set, and The Velveteen Rabbit Gift Set