"Fantastic . . . Mills creates a world where what it means to be a teenager is deliciously complicated. . . . this intelligent comedy will captivate readers."
– Publishers Weekly (starred)
“The Obsoletes is inventive, moving, and funny. A perfectly weird and weirdly perfect novel.”
– Jess Walter, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Beautiful Ruins
“Curious, sweet, heartbreaking, and redemptive, The Obsoletes is a thought-provoking reminder that growing up wouldn't be any easier with a manual. These are the droids you're rooting for.”
– Delilah S. Dawson, New York Times bestselling author of Star Wars: Phasma
"This weird, poignant novel will resonate with anyone. [. . .] Raw and unforgettable."
– Sam J. Miller, award-winning author of The Art of Starving
"What a debut! At turns endearing, funny, and imaginative, while always well written and always with weight. I predict great things for this book and the man who wrote it. A reminder that some stories feel good to read, even while addressing the big stuff. I love it."
– Josh Malerman, New York Times bestselling author of Bird Box
“Alternating between antic comedy, freak-out horror, and existential angst, The Obsoletes does the seemingly impossible: it makes the joys and terrors of adolescence seem fresh and new.”
– J. Robert Lennon, author of Broken River and See You in Paradise
“Crisp, laugh-aloud hilarious, and deeply thought-provoking, The Obsoletes is a clear, smart lens for our corner of history.”
– Michael Poore, author of Reincarnation Blues
“Mills has written an engaging, reader-friendly science-fiction story that flirts with a deeper meaning. . . . A natural for teen science-fiction fans.”