Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
The Meditator's Atlas
A Roadmap to the Inner World
Table of Contents
About The Book
You'll find the answers in The Meditator's Atlas, a comprehensive and trustworthy "roadmap of the inner world" for anyone who meditates. Respected teacher Matthew Flickstein is your friendly guide, explaining what meditation is, how to do it, and how to make the skills and benefits that it engenders your own, including:
- finding work that supports your priorities
- overcoming doubt
- cultivating helpful attitudes
- incorporating mindfulness into every aspect of your life
- and how all of this adds up to a happier life.
What makes this book unique is the way Flickstein uses two classic Buddhist texts--the Path of Purification, and the Four Foundations of Mindfulness--to help readers make clear sense out of the new, fascinating, and sometimes even frightening states that one may encounter on the long journey to enlightenment. Readers will come away from this book with their own insights clarified and with a helpful sense of what lies ahead.
- Publisher: Wisdom Publications (March 2, 2007)
- Length: 192 pages
- ISBN13: 9780861713370
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
"A monumental synthesis from the standpoint of one who has walked the path. A simple fact shouts from these pages over and over again-that nirvana is possible."
– Inquiring Mind
"A fresh, contemporary presentation of a venerable and ancient teaching. Readers of this book will find that it profoundly deepens their practice."
– from the foreword by Bhante Gunaratana, author of Mindfulness in Plain English
"Flickstein writes with sharp clarity and contagious enthusiasm which draws one back to the sitting cushion again and again."
– Steve Shealy, Ph.D., meditation teacher and clinical psychologist
"Never have I read a book on spiritual practice more practical or lucid. It belongs in the library of every serious student of the teachings of the Buddha."
– Walter Schwidetzky, co-founder of The Forest Way Insight Meditation Center
"Flickstein's valuable instructions on the posture, place, and time dedicated to sitting meditation will motivate both the beginning and experienced meditator to a more dedicated practice."
– Hsi Lai Journal of Humanistic Buddhism
"Flickstein's commentary on The Path of Purification, one of the most penetrating yet practical teachings of the Buddha, brings an immediacy and insight that are valuable aids to its study."
– The Beacon
"A brilliant resource."
– Jim Lassen-Willems, Vipassana teacher
"Flickstein has managed to select what is essential and clarify this dense and complex material, but without watering it down. The heart of it is all there. I know how valuable this will be to serious practitioners of dhamma."
– Barbara Brodsky, Deep Spring Center for Meditation and Spiritual Inquiry
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): The Meditator's Atlas Trade Paperback 9780861713370(0.2 MB)
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.