An indispensable volume for beginning and advanced sewers alike that guides readers through necessary equipment, techniques, fabrics and more.
First published in 1978, Reader’s Digest’s popular Complete Guide to Sewing has become the standard stich-and-seam reference book for both beginner and seasoned sewers. Now, Reader’s Digest has refreshed this tried-and-true volume for the modern era, adapting it to current trends while preserving the comprehensive, practical and inspiring content within.
Reader’s Digest Complete Guide to Sewing gives sewers of every experience and comfort level everything they need to know to create the wardrobe of their dreams and beautify their homes with original decorative accents. Clear, simple instructions written by experts in the field tell you what to do and how to do it. Plus, thousands of illustrations and diagrams throughout the book’s 384 pages illustrate each stage of the process. Key elements of the book include:
- A detailed list of the basic equipment you’ll need before getting started sewing.
- Tips for choosing the right fabric for your project.
- A step-by-step photo guide that shows you how to take measurements.
- Instructions in a variety of essential hand-stitching techniques.
- 20 timeless projects—more than half of them new to this edition—to practice your skills including shirts, dresses, bags and more.
Plus, the book has received endorsements from a variety of trusted sources:
“…and I always recommend the Reader’s Digest Guide to Sewing
. It’s very comprehensive and very user-friendly.”
“…abundant and precise line art, enticing photographs, simple-to-follow instructions and valuable information on tools, supplies, materials and techniques.”
—The New York Times
“A woman who takes sewing seriously, or who wants to learn to sew, won’t want to be
without this book.”
—Portland Oregon Journal
“Here is everything you always wanted to know about sewing—a veritable encyclopedia of stitching facts.”
—The Austin American Statesman