Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh
Table of Contents
About The Book
Some extraordinary rats come to the aid of a mouse family in this Newbery Medal Award–winning classic by notable children’s author Robert C. O’Brien.
Mrs. Frisby, a widowed mouse with four small children, is faced with a terrible problem. She must move her family to their summer quarters immediately, or face almost certain death. But her youngest son, Timothy, lies ill with pneumonia and must not be moved. Fortunately, she encounters the rats of NIMH, an extraordinary breed of highly intelligent creatures, who come up with a brilliant solution to her dilemma. And Mrs. Frisby in turn renders them a great service.
About The Illustrator
Zena Bernstein has a BFA from Syracuse University. She began her career as a book illustrator in New York City. Zena uses a combination of watercolor and acrylics in her work. Through a meticulous process, she carefully places several layers of dots of pure color to suggest subtle tones and shades. She refers to her creative work as a labor of love. Her drawings range from the natural world of mushrooms and insects to the unseen world of fairies and gnomes. She’s perhaps best known for illustrating the children’s book Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. Zena currently calls Canada home; it’s also the home of the fairies she draws and writes about.
- Publisher: Aladdin (March 1, 1986)
- Length: 240 pages
- ISBN13: 9780689710681
- Grades: 3 - 7
- Ages: 8 - 12
- Lexile ® 790L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
- Fountas & Pinnell™ V These books have been officially leveled by using the F&P Text Level Gradient™ Leveling System
Browse Related Books
Awards and Honors
- ALA Newbery Medal
- Pacific Northwest Young Reader's Choice Award
- ALA Notable Children's Books
- Horn Book Fanfare
- William Allen White Children's Book Award (KS)
- Massachusetts Children's Book Award
- Mark Twain Award (MO)
- Lewis Carroll Shelf Award
- Bluestem Book Award Master List (IL)
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh Trade Paperback 9780689710681
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.