Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Xamarin in Action
Creating native cross-platform mobile apps
Table of Contents
About The Book
Xamarin in Action teaches you to build cross-platform mobile apps using Xamarin and C#. You'll explore all the layers of a Xamarin app, from design to deployment. By the end, you'll be able to build a quality, production-ready Xamarin app on iOS and Android from scratch with a high level of code reuse.
Purchase of the print book includes a free eBook in PDF, Kindle, and ePub formats from Manning Publications.
About the Technology
Rewriting the same app for iOS and Android is tedious, error-prone, and expensive. Microsoft's Xamarin drastically reduces dev time by reusing most application code—typically 70% or more. The core of your iOS and Android app is shared; you write platform-specific code only for the UI layer. And because Xamarin uses C#, your apps benefit from everything this modern language and the .NET ecosystem have to offer.
About the Book
Xamarin in Action teaches you to build cross-platform mobile apps using Xamarin and C#. You'll explore all the layers of a Xamarin app, from design to deployment. Xamarin expert Jim Bennett teaches you design practices that maximize code reuse and isolate device-specific code, making it a snap to incorporate the unique features of each OS.
- Understanding MVVM to maximize code reuse and testability
- Creating cross-platform model and UI logic layers
- Building device-specific UIs
- Unit and automated UI testing
- Preparing apps for publication with user tracking and crash analytics
About the Reader
Readers should have some experience with C#. Mobile development experience is helpful, but not assumed.
About the Author
Jim Bennett is a Xamarin MYP, Microsoft MVP, and Senior Cloud Developer Advocate at Microsoft, specializing in Xamarin mobile apps. He's a frequent speaker at events all around the world, including Xamarin user groups and Xamarin and Microsoft conferences. He regularly blogs about Xamarin development at https://jimbobbennett.io.
Table of Contents
- Introducing native cross-platform applications with Xamarin
- Hello MVVM—creating a simple cross-platform app using MVVM
- MVVM—the model-view–view model design pattern
- Hello again, MVVM—understanding and enhancing our simple MVVM app
- What are we (a)waiting for? An introduction to multithreading for Xamarin apps
- Designing MVVM cross-platform apps
- Building cross-platform models
- Building cross-platform view models
- Building simple Android views
- Building more advanced Android views
- Building simple iOS views
- Building more advanced iOS views
- Running mobile apps on physical devices
- Testing mobile apps using Xamarin UITest
- Using App Center to build, test, and monitor apps
- Deploying apps to beta testers and the stores
PART 1 - GETTING STARTED WITH XAMARIN
PART 2 - BUILDING APPS
PART 3 - FROM WORKING CODE TO THE STORE
- Publisher: Manning (June 1, 2018)
- Length: 608 pages
- ISBN13: 9781617294389
Browse Related Books
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
Book Cover Image (jpg): Xamarin in Action
1st Edition Trade Paperback 9781617294389
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.