Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Table of Contents
About The Book
With a cleverly simple rhyme and playful, vibrant artwork, Cheryl B. Klein and Tomie dePaola lovingly paint the picture of a baby bird’s first flight—overcoming stings and dings along the way to soar triumphantly.
About The Illustrator
Tomie dePaola (1934–2020) was the beloved author and/or illustrator of more than 270 books for young readers, including the children’s classic, Strega Nona. He was the recipient of the Newbery Honor, Caldecott Honor, and the 2011 Children’s Literature Legacy Award for “significant and lasting contribution to children’s literature.” A native of Connecticut, Mr. dePaola studied at the Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York, and spent much of his life in New London, New Hampshire. Visit his work online at Tomie.com.
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (March 5, 2019)
- Length: 40 pages
- ISBN13: 9781534405110
- Grades: P - 3
- Ages: 4 - 8
- Lexile ® BR90L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
* "Klein's clever text offers just enough structure to keep the narrative going, while dePaola's collage and mixed-media illustrations fill in additional details. Sunny backgrounds (in pastel shades of yellow, orange, pink, purple, and green) offer pleasing contrasts to the birds and their surroundings. Reflective of the text, the artwork is uncluttered, focusing on the new fledgling and his immediate environment. The bird's eyes change from spread to spread, revealing his emotional status at every turn. Perfect for toddler storytimes, one-on-one sharing, or early emergent readers, this one sings to young and old alike. More, please?"
– Booklist, starred review
* "Beautifully extending the words’ clever minimalism, the simple, subtly dimensional shapes and lush, translucent colorations (the nest itself is a panoply of purples, blues and browns) makes this simple story soar."
– Publisher's Weekly - starred review
"dePaola’s bright-hue collage illustrations are fresh, airy, and thoroughly captivating. The artwork conveys and enriches the succinct story with eye-catching action and playful humor....Mesmerized youngsters will breathlessly follow each up and down."
– School Library Journal, February 2019
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Wings Fixed Layout eBook 9781534405110
- Author Photo (jpg): Cheryl B. Klein Photograph © Tom Lew(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More books from this illustrator: Tomie dePaola
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.