Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
White Fur Flying
Table of Contents
About The Book
Zoe’s family rescues dogs in need. There is always the sweet smell of dog and a warm body looking to cuddle or play. There is always a new dog to be saved, and loved. Fur flies everywhere. It covers everything. Zoe’s house is never silent.
The house across the street is always silent these days. A new family has moved in and Phillip, the boy, has stopped speaking. He doesn’t even want to try.
Saving dogs and saving boys may be different jobs, but Zoe learns that some parts are the same. Both take attention and care. They take understanding and time. And maybe just a bit of white fur flying.
From Newbery Medalist Patricia MacLachlan, White Fur Flying is an endearing tale of companionship and hope that is “beautifully told, quietly moving, and completely satisfying” (Kirkus Reviews).
- Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books (March 19, 2013)
- Length: 128 pages
- ISBN13: 9781442421738
- Grades: 2 - 6
- Ages: 7 - 11
- Lexile ® 590L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
"MacLachlan delivers yet another understated, quietly inspirational chapter book with this tale.... This is tailor-made for beginning readers looking for a gentle handling of powerfully felt emotions."
* "Beautifully told, quietly moving and completely satisfying."
– Kirkus Reviews, starred review
"MacLachlan crafts an elegantly spare novel about the healing power of dogs and love.... A graceful and quiet narrative with keen observations on how time and affection can remedy pain."
– Publishers Weekly
"MacLachlan shares with young audiences a touching story of compassion, trust, and patience. She weaves the themes of family and friendship throughout the narrative, peppering her well-paced plot with sufficient tension and avoiding an overdramatization of its climax. Like many of the author’s best stories, this one is told simply and gently with touches of light humor. The clear prose, combined with the brevity of the narrative, make the book an ideal selection for young readers, reluctant readers, and animal lovers everywhere. Children will feel satisfied as they discover that both dogs and boys can be rescued, and many will be pleasantly surprised that they can also rescue one another."
– School Library Journal
Awards and Honors
- Kentucky Bluegrass Award Master List
- Keystone to Reading Book Award Reading List (PA)
- William Allen White Children's Book Award Reading List (KS)
- Nutmeg Book Award Nominee (CT)
- Great Lakes Great Books Master List (MI)
- Children's Sequoyah Book Award Master List (OK)
- Land of Enchantment RoadRunner Award Nominee (NM)
- ALA Notable Children's Book Nominee
- Sunshine State Young Readers' Award List (FL)
- Massachusetts Children's Book Award Nominee
- Beverly Cleary Children's Choice Award Nominee (OR)
- Gate City Book Award Nominee (NH)
- Bank Street Best Children's Book of the Year Selection Title
- Cleveland Public Library Celebrate With Books Selection
- Massachusetts Book Award "Must Read" List
- TX Triple Crown Nominee
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): White Fur Flying eBook 9781442421738
- Author Photo (jpg): Patricia MacLachlan Photograph by John MacLachlan(2.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.