* "The ending...is just right....Peaceful and pensive like Truman himself, this book charms; there's just something uplifting and wonderful about the whole package. Never underestimate the feats an animal will brave in order to be reunited with their loved ones."
– Kirkus Reviews - starred review, April 2019
"The smallness of Truman’s world makes his expedition appropriately daunting—and funny—as he makes his way out of his tank and toward the door....Observational humor, clear affection between Truman and Sarah, and bold adventure make this a memorable pet-owner love story."
– Publisher's Weekly, April 22, 2019
"Truman’s seemingly small accomplishment will give readers and viewers cause to celebrate and appreciate the things they achieve every day, no matter the size."
– Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, June 2019
“Utterly heartwarming ... Children will be eager to hear what their pets go through while they’re away at school, and the uplifting story of friendship and bravery will satisfy widely. Using gouache, brush marker, charcoal, and colored pencil, Cummins has rendered in Truman a character so indisputably adorable that, coupled with Reidy’s soulful characterization, he will have readers of all ages falling in love."
– Booklist, June 1, 2019
* "Charming and humorous illustrations...Tiny Truman is endearing and his adoration, concern, and determination are reflected on his little face. VERDICT A heartwarming tale of devotion that will be enjoyed by children and their adults."
– School Library Journal - starred review, July 2019
"At the heart of this story, paralleling a child’s own first journey into the unknown that is school, is the affectionate relationship between Sarah and Truman...and there’s much humor and drama in Truman’s exertions. Cummins’s relaxed-line, mixed-media illustrations bring the family’s cozy world to life, and the occasional use of a larger, bolder font emphasizes the heroics needed for Truman’s journey. This little creature has big courage, something to which small humans can relate."
– The Horn Book, September/October 2019
"An enchanting tale of bravery, heroism and undying devotion....Cummins's delectable art captures the warm, witty heart of the story."
– The New York Times Book Review, August 18, 2019
"Jean Reidy captures the vastness of the world and the courage required to sally forth...in this sweet tale of valor, affection, and enterprise."
– The Wall Street Journal, August 2019