Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
The XX Edge
Unlocking Higher Returns and Lower Risk
Table of Contents
About The Book
There’s a simple but often overlooked investment strategy to earning higher returns—include women as financial decision-makers within your organization or team. That’s The XX Edge.
Seasoned executives and investors Patience Marime-Ball and Ruth Shaber demonstrate the new paradigm where women are at the center of investing as agents and actors—not just as beneficiaries.
If you manage investments—either your own or others'—you’ll want to understand the data and discover the financial power of The XX Edge:
- Gender-inclusive teams are 21% more likely to see outperformance in profitability relative to peers
- Female CFOs deliver a 6% increase in profits and an 8% stock performance bump compared to overall performance under male predecessors
- New companies with a female founder performed 63% better than those with all-male teams over an observed ten-year period
- Women-run hedge funds outperformed the average of larger hedge funds by a margin of 6% over a six-and-a-half-year period
You’ll discover the inherent gender differences between women and men and why these differences make women excellent financial decision makers and investment collaborators. Patience and Ruth unpack the evidence that proves this point across all asset classes.
The XX Edge shows that when women make financial decisions and apply their skills across all capital markets, it leads to higher returns for individual investors and greater economic growth—a true win-win for all.
- Publisher: Forefront Books (June 21, 2022)
- Length: 288 pages
- ISBN13: 9781637630945
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
“The XX Edge is a ‘get behind’ kind of book. Marime-Ball and Shaber draw on their extensive research and real-world experience to make a compelling argument for more gender inclusivity when it comes to business and the economy. It is a must-read for every leader who wants to deliver stronger long-term performance, positive and inclusive societal outcomes. It should be in the hands of every citizen who aspires to effect positive change.”
– —James Manyika, Chair and Director emeritus, McKinsey Global Institute
“The authors paint a powerfully persuasive picture of the results when women are at the centre of investing, as agents and actors. At last, we can understand the vast difference women can make to the effectiveness of the financial world in meeting the challenges ahead. This book is vital reading for anyone concerned about the future of finance.”
– —Dr Scilla Elworthy, three-time Nobel Peace prize nominee, Founder of The Oxford Research Group and Peace Direct, and author of The Business Plan for Peace
“As the world is witnessing unprecedented technological change, the question of how innovation can serve more people is front and center. This book makes a strong case for how products and services are more inclusive and higher quality when women are inside innovation labs.”
– —William Sonneborn, Senior Director, Disruptive Technologies and Funds, International Finance Corporation
“Gender-diverse teams outperform. The XX Edge details why and how having women in investment rooms is critical to building portfolios that drive doing well and doing good. Thank you for getting this important content into the world. People and planet are depending on us getting this right. We can shift our economies to ones that work for everyone. Clearly, women as investment decision makers are essential to achieving a sustainable world.”
– —Kristin Hull, Founder, CEO Nia Impact Capital
“This clear and compelling book shares robust research and real world examples which demonstrate that greater gender inclusion leads to a larger opportunity set, paving the way for higher returns on one’s capital. Investing is not a zero-sum game: female investment managers, asset owners, and corporate managers can dramatically increase our collective financial results.”
– BRENT KESSEL, Cofounder of Abacus Wealth Partners and Author of It’s Not About the Money
“The book’s comprehensive coverage of the subject matter, from personal anecdotes to milestone events, from solid research to evidence in practice, sends a powerful and convincing message that XX factors are essential for humanity to achieve better social and economic outcomes and for investors to do well by doing good. I highly recommend this book.”
– JINGDONG HUA, Former Vice President and Treasurer of the World Bank
Resources and Downloads
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.