Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Ten Thousand Tries
Table of Contents
About The Book
A middle school soccer whiz’s determination to keep things from changing is tested when his father’s ALS symptoms worsen in this “heart-tugging and uplifting” (Kirkus Reviews, starred review) story about growing up and facing loss, perfect for fans of Shouting at the Rain.
Twelve-year-old Golden Maroni is determined to channel his hero, soccer superstar Lionel Messi, and become captain of his soccer team and master of his eighth grade universe…especially since his home universe is spiraling out of orbit. Off the field, Golden’s dad, once a pro soccer player himself, is now battling ALS, a disease that attacks his muscles, leaving him less and less physically able to control his body every day. And while Mom says there’s no cure, Golden is convinced that his dad can beat this, just like any opponent, they just have to try.
Golden knows that if you want to perfect a skill you have to put ten thousand tries in, so he’s convinced if he can put that much effort in, on and off the field, he can stop everything from changing. But when his dad continues to decline and his constant pushing starts to alienate his friends and team, Golden is forced to confront the idea that being master of your universe might not mean being in control of everything. What if it means letting go of the things you can’t control so you can do the most good for the things you can?
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (July 13, 2021)
- Length: 384 pages
- ISBN13: 9781534482319
- Grades: 3 - 7
- Ages: 8 - 12
- Lexile ® 590L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
- 3rd Grade
- 4th Grade
- 5th Grade
- 6th Grade
- 7th Grade
- Age 4 - 8
- Age 9 - 11
- Age 12 and Up
- Lexile ® 491 - 590
- Children's Fiction > Sports & Recreation > Soccer
- Children's Fiction > Social Themes > Death, Grief, Bereavement
- Children's Fiction > Family > Parents
- Children's Fiction > Social Situations > Death & Dying
Awards and Honors
- ALA Notable Children's Books
- CCBC Choices (Cooperative Children's Book Council)
- Texas Lone Star Reading List
- Golden Sower Award Nominee (NE)
- Bank Street Best Children's Book of the Year Selection Title
- Junior Tome Society It List Nominee
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
Book Cover Image (jpg): Ten Thousand Tries
Author Photo (jpg): Amy Makechnie
Photograph by Brynne Makechnie(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.