Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Rot, the Bravest in the World!
Table of Contents
About The Book
Rot faces a scary, squirmy new challenge and finds what makes him feel brave in this sweet and slimy companion to Rot, the Cutest in the World!
Rot is a mutant potato. Like most mutant potatoes, Rot loves mud. He plays games in it, he eats it, he even sleeps in it! So, when Rot sees the most magnificent, messy mud pit ever, he can’t wait to dive right in.
But then, Rot’s big brother warns him: Watch out for the Squirm! The Squirm is slippery and slimy and gross and grimy, and it lives in the beloved mud. Now, Rot’s too scared to jump into the puddle. Can anything help him feel brave enough to take the plunge and face…the Squirm?
About The Illustrator
Ben Clanton is an author and illustrator whose books include It Came in the Mail; Something Extraordinary; Rex Wrecks It!; Mo’s Mustache; The Table Sets Itself; Vote for Me!; Rot, the Cutest in the World!; and Rot, the Bravest in the World!. He lives with his wife and son in Seattle, Washington. Learn more at BenClanton.com.
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (June 16, 2020)
- Length: 40 pages
- ISBN13: 9781481467650
- Grades: P - 3
- Ages: 4 - 8
- Lexile ® AD420L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
* "Readers wooed by Rot's charm in Rot: The Cutest in the World (2017) will laugh out loud at this well-paced encore—and it's not just because of the butt cracks. Clanton creates a winning dynamic, balancing Rot's earnestness, witty dialogue, and an omniscient, slightly melodramatic narrator....Clanton's reliance on earth tones makes for some clever, surprising page turns when the palette is broken.Cute and brave—gee, Rot's spud-tacular!"
– Kirkus Reviews - starred review, February 2020
"Using potato prints and mixed media to great gloopy effect, Clanton portrays a pair of truly scabrous
looking tubers...Young readers will happily slip into the slop with these terrific taters."
– Booklist, February 2020
"Clanton...succeeds in a delightfully disgusting readaloud that kids with a penchant for fart jokes will love....The book uses watercolors and, appropriately, potato stamps to depict Rot and his mutant potato friends in all their unibrowed, uneven pupilled glory in the style of a Cartoon Network show. Kids with a passion for the gross and smelly will find a home in this unabashed depiction of the slimy world of mutant potatoes."
– Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, May 2020
"Rot the potato is a protagonist who, like many young children, is both grimy and adorable....Clanton uses colored pencils and potato stamps for the illustrations, creating spuds that are packed with personality.... Recommended for purchase. Rot and his brother may be small potatoes, but they share a heartwarming story about bravery and brotherly love."
– School Library Journal, May 2020
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
Book Cover Image (jpg): Rot, the Bravest in the World!
Fixed Layout eBook 9781481467650
Author Photo (jpg): Ben Clanton
Photograph by Kelsey Clanton(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.