Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Table of Contents
About The Book
In 1962 a stray dog was found under a pile of boxes in a Coast Guard warehouse in what used to be called Government Island, the Coast Guard Base in San Francisco Bay, when a seaman named Dave Bunch was mopping the floor. It was love at first sight. At first the men decided to hide the pup from the Commander, thinking she wouldn’t be allowed. But soon enough all of the men in the barracks fell hard for the little dog. Then one day when high waves challenged another vessel at sea, it was Vera’s fierce determination and natural swimming ability that brought the life preserver and safety line to the sinking boat. Vera became a hero and the beloved pet and mascot of the San Francisco Coast Guard.
About The Illustrator
Patricia Polacco belongs to a family of storytellers, poets, farmers, teachers, and artists. They came from many parts of the world, but mainly Russia. She grew up to be an illustrator, a designer, and creator of many beloved children’s books, including The Keeping Quilt, The Blessing Cup, Fiona’s Lace, The Trees of the Dancing Goats, Babushka’s Doll, My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother, Sticks and Stones, and Palace of Books. She lives in Union City, Michigan. Visit her at PatriciaPolacco.com and follow her on Facebook.
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (October 3, 2017)
- Length: 32 pages
- ISBN13: 9781481442275
- Grades: P - 3
- Ages: 4 - 8
- Lexile ® AD780L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
Awards and Honors
- South Carolina Picture Book Award Nominee
- CBC/NCSS Notable Social Studies Trade Book
- Kansas NEA Reading Circle List Intermediate Title
- Pennsylvania Young Reader's Choice Award Master List
- Arkansas Diamond Primary Book Award Reading List
- Bank Street Best Children's Book of the Year Selection Title
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Remembering Vera Hardcover 9781481442275
- Author Photo (jpg): Patricia Polacco Photo Credit:(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.