Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
In Your Hands
Table of Contents
About The Book
A black mother expresses the many hopes and dreams she has for her child in this powerful picture book masterpiece that’s perfect for gift-giving.
When you are a newborn,
I hold your hand and study your face.
I cradle you as you drift to sleep.
But I know that I will not always
hold your hand;
not the older you get.
Then, I will hold you in my heart
And hope that God holds you in his hands.
About The Illustrator
Brian Pinkney has illustrated numerous acclaimed books for children, including Martin Rising; In Your Hands; On the Ball; The Faithful Friend; Duke Ellington; and In the Time of the Drums. His many awards include two Caldecott Honors, a Coretta Scott King Illustration Award, four Coretta Scott King Illustration Honors, and the Boston Globe–Horn Book Award. Brian lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and frequent collaborator, Andrea Davis Pinkney. Visit him at BrianPinkney.net.
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (September 12, 2017)
- Length: 32 pages
- ISBN13: 9781481462945
- Grades: P - 3
- Ages: 4 - 8
- Lexile ® AD600L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
* “The moving, poetic text . . . offers both love and reassurance for children and a way to explore some difficult social issues. Pinkney’s striking, loose illustrations in watercolor and gouache use a palette of pastel greens and blues. . . . Insightful, poignant, groundbreaking—and a reminder that the lives of all children are also in our hands.”
– Kirkus Reviews, STARRED REVIEW, June 15, 2017
* “An exceptional gift to black families, with important underlying messages of our times. . . . Best shared one-on-one with a loved one.”
– School Library Journal, Starred Review, July 2017
* “Pinkney uses sweeping, expressive ink lines and radiant washes of color to create both an impressionistic mood and poignant immediacy. For all its beauty and lyricism, Weatherford’s book doesn’t equivocate. Because for children like Omari, the stakes are as high as their mothers’ love is deep.”
– Publishers Weekly, Starred Review, July 17, 2017
* “A heartfelt monologue . . . [with] luminous artwork . . . this picture book will move many readers, including adults, with its lyrical yet powerful words and art.”
– Booklist, Starred Review, August 1, 2017
“The pictures of a young black boy growing to adolescence and adulthood and the power of the mother’s prayer . . . make it one that may well transcend early readings to become a book to return to as a child becomes a man.”
– The Horn Book, September/October 2017
Awards and Honors
- CCBC Choices (Cooperative Children's Book Council)
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): In Your Hands Fixed Layout eBook 9781481462945
- Author Photo (jpg): Carole Boston Weatherford Photograph © Carole Boston Weatherford(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More books from this illustrator: Brian Pinkney
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.