Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
How to Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness
A Mindful Guide
Table of Contents
About The Book
Chronic illness creates many challenges, from career crises and relationship issues to struggles with self-blame, personal identity, and isolation. Beloved author Toni Bernhard addresses these challenges and many more, using practical examples to illustrate how mindfulness, equanimity, and compassion can help readers make peace with a life turned upside down.
In her characteristic conversational style, Bernhard shows how to cope and make the most of life despite the challenges of chronic illness. Benefit from:
• Mindfulness exercises to mitigate physical and emotional pain
• Concrete advice for negotiating the everyday hurdles of medical appointments, household chores, and social obligations
• Tools for navigating the strains illness can place on relationships
Several chapters are directed toward family and friends of the chronically ill, helping them to understand what their loved one is going through and how they can help.
Humorous and empathetic, Bernhard shares her own struggles and setbacks with unflinching honesty, offering invaluable support in the search to find peace and well-being.
- Publisher: Wisdom Publications (October 6, 2015)
- Length: 352 pages
- ISBN13: 9781614292630
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
“In this comprehensive book, an empathetic Bernhard offers guidance to those whose lives have been turned upside down by illness. Excellent firsthand instruction for anyone dealing with a debilitating illness.”
“This book is so honest, so real, and so practical, it is a must have for everyone, patient and caregiver alike.”
– American Chronic Pain Association
“An invaluable and eminently practical guide for navigating the many challenges of living with chronic pain and illness.”
– Joseph Goldstein, author of Mindfulness
“Toni Bernhard shares her own powerful experience of how mindfulness practice can deeply support anyone with chronic illness.”
– Sharon Salzberg, author of Real Happiness
“Let Toni Bernhard be your guide in this life-changing journey.”
– Larry Dossey, MD, author of One Mind
“Immensely practical and infused with warmth, wisdom, and unflinching honesty.”
– Dr. Alice Boyes, author of The Anxiety Toolkit
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): How to Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness eBook 9781614292630
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.