Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Table of Contents
About The Book
Fifteen-year-old Rachel is furious and lonely when her father moves the family to Boston in 1872—especially since she had to sell her beloved horse. But in Boston she finds the Governor’s Girl, an injured firehorse, and begins caring for her and thinking about becoming a veterinarian. Then an outbreak of fires causes Rachel to question the ethics of her journalist father, and when the horses who pull the fire engines fall ill, the danger escalates. In a dramatic climax, the Great Boston Fire of 1872 is brought to life with cinematic vividness, and Rachel proves her grit and determination to make something of herself.
- Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books (July 6, 2010)
- Length: 336 pages
- ISBN13: 9781442403314
- Grades: 7 and up
- Ages: 12 - 99
- Lexile ® 840 The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
Awards and Honors
- ALA Amelia Bloomer Project
- Land of Enchantment RoadRunner Award Nominee (NM)
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Firehorse Trade Paperback 9781442403314(1.8 MB)
- Author Photo (jpg): Diane Lee Wilson Photograph courtesy of the author(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.