"Excellent. Saul David's gripping narrative is admirably clear."
– Antony Beevor, #1 internationally bestselling author of D-Day
"Gripping, even gruesome, yet deeply moving. Sweeps us masterfully from a coral charnel house in the Pacific to the mushroom cloud over Hiroshima."
– David Reynolds, author of In Command of History and The Long Shadow
"Vivid and deeply moving. David masterfully evokes the desperation and courage of soldiers, civilians, and commanders on both sides, constantly switching perspectives to capture the deep story of Okinawa's horror. Hard to put down, harder to forget."
– Stephan Talty, author of Saving Bravo: The Greatest Rescue Mission in Navy SEAL History
"A worthy addition to the literature of the Okinawa campaign."
– The Wall Street Journal
"Every chapter is filled with harrowing adventure, life and death struggle, and bedrock patriotism. The amount of new cutting-edge research is impressive. A monumental achievement!"
– Douglas Brinkley, #1 New York Times bestselling author of American Moonshot
"With impeccable research and a keen eye for detail, Saul David has brought to life the surprising story of the original band of brothers. An essential part of anyone's library."
– Doug Stanton, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Horse Soldiers
"Action packed. This thrilling tale will captivate readers."
– Publishers Weekly
"A remarkable story of the most unique special operations unit in Allied service during World War II. The Force is a gripping and awe-inspiring account of a storied unit and a legendary battle."
– John R. Bruning, bestselling author of Race of Aces
"With this riveting story of an unlikely group of men becoming elite soldiers and contributing to the Allied victory, Saul David brings us a superb tale, well told."
– Gregory A. Freeman, bestselling author of The Forgotten 500
"The First Special Service Force created in 1942 was a unique elite unit. As Saul David makes clear in this stirring account of their heroics, they did much more than their share and established precedents for the U.S. and Canadian Special Forces of today.”
– James M. McPherson, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Battle-Cry of Freedom
"Compelling and well-researched, The Force is an uplifting story of bravery, duty, and honor, an account of men who found the courage to take on an impossible mission—and prevail against all odds."
– Howard Blum, New York Times bestselling author of Dark Invasion
"A real page-turner [about] a remarkable military unit whose story ought to be better known."
– Kirkus Reviews