Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Cross-Platform Desktop Applications
Using Node, Electron, and NW.js
Table of Contents
About The Book
Cross-Platform Desktop Applications guides you step-by-step through creating Node.js desktop applications with NW.js and Electron from GitHub. Foreword by Cheng Zhao, creator of Electron.
Purchase of the print book includes a free eBook in PDF, Kindle, and ePub formats from Manning Publications.
About the Technology
About the Book
Cross-Platform Desktop Applications guides you step by step through the development of desktop applications using Electron and NW.js. This example-filled guide shows you how to create your own file explorer, and then steps through some of the APIs provided by the frameworks to work with the camera, access the clipboard, make a game with keyboard controls, and build a Twitter desktop notification tool. You'll then learn how to test your applications, and debug and package them as binaries for various OSs.
- Create a selfie app with the desktop camera
- Learn how to test Electron apps with Devtron
- Learn how to use Node.js with your application
About the Reader
About the Author
Paul Jensen works at Starcount and lives in London, UK.
Table of Contents
- Introducing Electron and NW.js
- Laying the foundation for your first desktop application
- Building your first desktop application
- Shipping your first desktop application
- Using Node.js within NW.js and Electron
- Exploring NW.js and Electron's internals
- Controlling how your desktop app is displayed
- Creating tray applications
- Creating application and context menus
- Dragging and dropping files and crafting the UI
- Using a webcam in your application
- Storing app data
- Copying and pasting contents from the clipboard
- Binding on keyboard shortcuts
- Making desktop notifications
- Testing desktop apps
- Improving app performance with debugging
- Packaging the application for the wider world
PART 1 - WELCOME TO NODE.JS DESKTOP APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT
PART 2 - DIVING DEEPER
PART 3 - MASTERING NODE.JS DESKTOP APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT
PART 4 - GETTING READY TO RELEASE
- Publisher: Manning (May 15, 2017)
- Length: 312 pages
- ISBN13: 9781617292842
Browse Related Books
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
Book Cover Image (jpg): Cross-Platform Desktop Applications
1st Edition Trade Paperback 9781617292842
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.