Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Table of Contents
About The Book
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (January 9, 2007)
- Length: 224 pages
- ISBN13: 9781416934820
- Grades: 5 - 9
- Ages: 10 - 14
- Lexile ® 860L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
- Fountas & Pinnell™ W These books have been officially leveled by using the F&P Text Level Gradient™ Leveling System
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
* "This is a refreshingly well-written encounter with richly developed and well-defined characters whom readers won't soon forget."
– School Library Journal, STAR
* "…strong narration and the child's struggle with forgiveness make for poignant, aching drama."
– Booklist, starred review
* "Tobin’s own blossoming, through friendship, and the rediscovery of his family, and the love for and of his chickens, is entirely satisfying—just right."
– Kirkus Reviews, STAR
Awards and Honors
- ALA Notable Children's Books
- Kentucky Bluegrass Award Master List
- Bank Street Best Books of the Year
- NYPL 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing
- Chicago Public Library's Best of the Best
- Kirkus Editor's Choice
- NCTE Notable Children's Books in the Language Arts
- Kansas NEA Reading Circle List Starred Junior Title
- Texas Bluebonnet Master List
- Dorothy Canfield Fisher Book Award Master List (VT)
- Massachusetts Children's Book Award Nominee
- Rhode Island Children's Book Award Nominee
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Chicken Boy Trade Paperback 9781416934820(1.8 MB)
- Author Photo (jpg): Frances O'Roark Dowell Photograph (c) Clifton Dowell(2.5 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.