Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Amara and the Bats
Table of Contents
About The Book
Amara loves bats! Her favorite thing to do is to collect bat facts and watch the amazing mammals fly at night by her house. But when Amara moves to a new town, she learns that her beloved bats no longer roost nearby because so many trees are being cut down.
Amara is upset. What can she do to help? She’s just one person, and the problem feels so much bigger than her. But after doing some research, she discovers that there are many young people making big changes all around the world. Inspired to take action, Amara gathers her new friends to help save the bats. Together, she knows they can make a difference!
Emma Reynolds crafts an inspiring story about community action, perseverance, and what to do in the face of climate anxiety. At its heart, this is a story about hope and finding a place to call home.
About The Illustrator
Emma Reynolds is an illustrator and author based in Manchester, UK. Amara and the Bats is her author-illustrator debut. Passionate about storytelling and creating unique characters, Emma has been dreaming of making her own books since she was five. Emma started the #KidLit4Climate illustrated campaign, bringing together thousands of children’s illustrators and authors from more than fifty countries in solidarity with the youth climate strikes. She is inspired by nature, animals, adventure, and seeing the magic in the everyday. Visit her at EmmaReynoldsIllustration.com. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @EmmaIllustrate.
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (July 20, 2021)
- Length: 48 pages
- ISBN13: 9781534469020
- Grades: P - 3
- Ages: 4 - 8
- Lexile ® AD820L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
* "Amara's unabashed loved for bats will help challenge preconceived notions about the often-misunderstood animals, and even though this is fiction, it contains great reference content, including nicely labeled illustrations of identifiable species of bat. . . . An inviting and informative picture about wildlife conservation that might inspire kids to take action in their own communities."
– Booklist, Starred Review
"Full of informative, fun, and engaging messages about bats, such as what it takes for them to thrive and the food chains they’re part of. . . . A captivating book about nature, bats, and environmental activism."
– Kirkus Reviews
"Clearly defined facts appear throughout this encouraging book and give children concrete ideas to champion their own passions...The story busts myths and shows what curiosity and research can do for children."
– Horn Book Magazine, 3/10/2022
“This is such a phenomenal book.”
– Jerome Foster II, youth climate activist
“We need more books like this.”
– Arshak Makichyan, youth climate activist
"Amara and the Bats is an uplifting picture book about how one person’s actions can make a BIG difference."
– Emma Perry – author (I Don’t Like Books. Never. Ever. The End. and This Book Has Alpacas and Bears) and children’s book blogger at My Book Corner
Awards and Honors
- CCBC Choices (Cooperative Children's Book Council)
- Kansas NEA Reading Circle List PrimaryTitle
- Chickadee Award Nominee (ME)
- CBC-NSTA Best STEM Book
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Amara and the Bats Fixed Layout eBook 9781534469020
- Author Photo (jpg): Emma Reynolds Photograph © Emma Reynolds(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.