Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
A Little Book of Sloth
Table of Contents
About The Book
Hang around just like a sloth and get to know the delightful residents of the Avarios Sloth Sanctuary in Costa Rica, the world’s largest sloth orphanage. You’ll fall in love with bad-boy Mateo, ooh and ahh over baby Biscuit, and want to wrap your arms around champion cuddle buddy Ubu!
From British filmmaker and sloth expert Lucy Cooke comes a hilarious, heart-melting photographic picture book starring the laziest—and one of the cutest—animals on the planet.
- Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books (March 5, 2013)
- Length: 64 pages
- ISBN13: 9781442445574
- Grades: K and up
- Ages: 5 - 99
- Lexile ® AD870L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
- 1st Grade
- 2nd Grade
- 3rd Grade
- 4th Grade
- 5th Grade
- 6th Grade
- 7th Grade
- 8th Grade
- 9th Grade
- 10th Grade
- 11th Grade
- 12th Grade
- Age 4 - 8
- Age 9 - 11
- Age 12 and Up
- Lexile ® 791 - 890
- Children's Non-Fiction > People & Places > Caribbean & Latin America
- Children's Non-Fiction > Animals > Mammals
- Children's Non-Fiction > Animals > General
Raves and Reviews
* "Cooke writes with a firm sense of authority and a loving irreverence that lifts these pages far above most real-life animal books and should make the inevitable umpteenth readaloud easy to bear."
– Publishers Weekly, *STARRED REVIEW*
* "Move over, pandas—there’s a new adorable wild animal on the picture-book scene. Sloth aficionado Cooke casts the sloths of Costa Rica’s sloth sanctuary (which she dubs “Slothville”) in an adorable photo-essay that combines vivid images of the photogenic residents with lively information about sloths in general and individual residents...kids with patience for the book’s longer length will enjoy listening to it as a read-aloud, and plenty of youngsters will be happy just to flip through the images of an unfamiliar but deeply cuddle-able collection of creatures."
– — Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books *STARRED REVIEW*
Awards and Honors
- ALA Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers
- Grand Canyon Reader Award Nominee (AZ)
- Monarch Award Master List (IL)
- MSTA Reading Circle List
Resources and Downloads
Common Core Suggestion
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): A Little Book of Sloth Hardcover 9781442445574(4.3 MB)
- Author Photo (jpg): Lucy Cooke Photograph courtesy of Lucy Cooke(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.