In 40% Off Is the New Black, best-selling authors Lisa Birnbach, Ann Hodgman, and Patricia Marx offer hundreds of recession-proof reasons why less is more. This funny, inspiring, and uplifting collection reminds us that most of the best things in life are still free.
* Hedges are prettier to look at than hedge funds.
* Manicures are probably bad for you anyway--all those fumes.
* Your pets wouldn't like you more if you were rich.
* There might still be time to teach your kids that money isn't everything.
* Seashells are amazingly beautiful for something that costs nothing.
* Buying items in bulk makes you feel like a stalwart pioneer woman.
So invest in this little piece of wisdom that is certain to do more for you than your 401(k) has lately. And, while you're bicycling to work and growing your own food, you can think about all that really matters in life--family, friends, and early-bird specials, of course.