Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark (With Audio Recording)
Table of Contents
About The Book
Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has spent a lifetime disagreeing: disagreeing with inequality, arguing against unfair treatment, and standing up for what’s right for people everywhere. This biographical picture book about the Notorious RBG, tells the justice’s story through the lens of her many famous dissents, or disagreements.
About The Illustrator
Elizabeth Baddeley is the illustrator of the critically acclaimed and New York Times bestselling I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsberg Makes Her Mark, written by Debbie Levy. She also illustrated A Woman in the House (and Senate): How Women Came to the United States Congress, Broke Down Barriers, and Changed the Country; The Good Fight: The Feuds of the Founding Fathers (and How They Shaped the Nation); and An Inconvenient Alphabet. Elizabeth graduated from the School of Visual Arts in New York City with a degree in illustration and currently lives in Kansas City, Missouri. Learn more at EBaddeley.com.
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (September 20, 2016)
- Length: 40 pages
- ISBN13: 9781481465601
- Grades: P - 3
- Ages: 4 - 8
- Lexile ® 710L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
"Speak purposefully and carry a big legal pad. . . . Read this and be inspired to work for justice through the legal system."
– Kirkus Reviews
"Baddeley and Levy [. . . .] demonstrate how disagreement can lead to meaningful discussion and doesn’t have to be personal. This lively, inviting, and informative biography of a historic woman will empower young ones to bravely voice their opinions."
– Booklist, STARRED REVIEW
"[A] spirited picture book biography of the second woman to sit on the high court."
– Publishers Weekly
*"This dynamic offering is an essential purchase that will be useful for completing assignments as well as for pleasure reading."
– School Library Journal, STARREV REVIEW
Awards and Honors
- ALA Notable Children's Books
- CBC/NCSS Notable Social Studies Trade Book
- William Allen White Children's Book Award Reading List (KS)
- Chicago Public Library's Best of the Best
- Nutmeg Book Award Nominee (CT)
- ILA Notable Books for a Global Society
- Black-Eyed Susan Book Award Nominee (MD)
- Jane Addams Children's Book Award Honor Book
- Jefferson Cup Award (VA)
- National Jewish Book Award
- Red Clover Book Award Nominee (VT)
- Amelia Bloomer Selection List - TOP TEN
- Rhode Island Children's Book Award Nominee
- Sydney Taylor Book Award Winner
- Eureka! Excellence in Nonfiction Gold Award (CA)
- NCTE Orbis Pictus Honor Book to NCTE Orbis Pictus Honor Book for Outstanding Nonfiction
- Wisconsin State Reading Association's Reading List
- New York Public Library Best Books for Kids
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): I Dissent Enhanced eBook 9781481465601
- Author Photo (jpg): Debbie Levy Photo courtesy of the author(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More books from this illustrator: Elizabeth Baddeley
You may also like: Books About Ruth Bader Ginsburg
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.