- Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers |
- 416 pages |
- ISBN 9781416982586 |
- September 2009 |
- Grades 4 - 7 |
- Lexile ® 850
Reading Group Guide
Dear Pen Pal
Book 3 in The Mother-Daughter Book Club series
by Heather Vogel Frederick
1. Which character has changed the most since the first Mother-Daughter Book Club and its successor Much Ado About Anne? Why?
2. Who is your favorite character in Dear Pen Pal? Has your favorite character been the same in all three books? Why or why not?
3. Have you ever read Daddy-Long-Legs, Dear Enemy, or Just Patty by Jean Webster? If you have, did you like them? If not, are you now interested in reading them?
4. Do you know anyone who goes to boarding school? Do you think you would like it, or would you hate to be away from your friends and family like Jess does?
5. In this book, similar to Daddy-Long-Legs, all of the girls get pen pals. Have you ever had a pen pal? What did you write to them about? Did you write snail mail letters, or send e-mails? Have you had the chance to meet your pen pal in person?
6. Emma is terrified of speaking in public. What fears would you like to conquer?
7. Savannah volunteers at the local animal shelter. Do you, or does anyone you know, volunteer? What organizations would you be interested in helping?
8. Megan feels like she is stuck in the middle with her mother and grandmother. Have you ever felt like you we see more