This incisive, practical guide provides a thorough breakdown of the ins and outs everyone needs to know when turning contracting skills into a business, from summoning the motivation to start your own business to the intricacies of being your own boss,
Claudiu Fatu turns his personal experiences and those of other successful contractors into advice on every aspect of building a business. The chapters focus on:
- Developing a business structure, including bank accounts, tax registration, insurance, and branding
- Handling legal and accounting hurdles
- Managing employees and dealing with clients
- Using marketing systems to find and book work
- Estimating and bidding on jobs
- Writing contracts
- Creating invoices and a billing system
- Controlling costs, keeping records, and understanding profit margin
- Planning retirement and other benefits for the self-employed
By teaching contractors to anticipate problems that can arise when dealing with clients, and to build a business plan that can support a contractor’s talents in the best way possible, Starting Your Career as a Contractor
is the ultimate manual to getting the job done right!
Allworth Press, an imprint of Skyhorse Publishing, publishes a broad range of books on the visual and performing arts, with emphasis on the business of art. Our titles cover subjects such as graphic design, theater, branding, fine art, photography, interior design, writing, acting, film, how to start careers, business and legal forms, business practices, and more. While we don't aspire to publish a New York Times
bestseller or a national bestseller, we are deeply committed to quality books that help creative professionals succeed and thrive. We often publish in areas overlooked by other publishers and welcome the author whose expertise can help our audience of readers.