From the Reum brothers—former Goldman Sachs investment bankers, successful operators, and investors—comes Shortcut Your Startup, a practical playbook for both aspiring and seasoned entrepreneurs, filled with unconventional yet accessible advice for maximizing your business venture.
Courtney and Carter Reum have years of experience in the field, from investing in over 130 companies, including Lyft, Pinterest, Warby Parker, and ClassPass, to driving the success of their own liquor brand, VEEV Spirits. The Reum brothers have learned from every triumph and tribulation, and over the years have developed an effective and easy-to-understand guide to help entrepreneurs through the startup journey from inception to sale. Complete with personal anecdotes and real-life advice from the business playing field, Shortcut Your Startup outlines Courtney and Carter’s ten key “Startup Switchups” that flip traditional advice on its head:
· Get into the Trenches · Know if You’re a Speedboat or a Sailboat · Obsessively Take Advantage of Your Unfair Advantages · Do What You Do Best, and Outsource the Rest · Build in Flexibility and a Diversified Focus · Think Milestones, Not Time · Nail It Before You Scale It · 1 Percent Better Is 1000 Percent Better · Gain Buy-in with Heart-Based Momentum · Success Doesn’t Equate to a Successful Exit
Whether you’re a veteran entrepreneur looking for new ways to boost performance and reinvent your brand, or an aspiring entrepreneur ready to take a leap of faith, Shortcut Your Startup is essential reading to speed up your success!
Courtney Reum and his brother Carter are former Goldman Sachs investment bankers, entrepreneurs, operators, and investors. Courtney and Carter started their careers working on deals ranging from Under Armour to Vitamin Water and have since left to pursue careers as both Entrepreneurs and new age VCs. After co-founding and eventually successfully selling VEEV Spirits, Courtney and Carter started M13, a 21st century investing platform that seeks to affect outcomes for founders, partners, and investors by institutionalizing the process of scaling consumer-centric brands. Courtney and Carter currently live in Los Angeles, where they run day-to-day operations at M13.
Carter Reum and his brother Courtney are former Goldman Sachs investment bankers, entrepreneurs, operators, and investors. Courtney and Carter started their careers working on deals ranging from Under Armour to Vitamin Water and have since left to pursue careers as both Entrepreneurs and new age VCs. After co-founding and eventually successfully selling VEEV Spirits, Courtney and Carter started M13, a 21st century investing platform that seeks to affect outcomes for founders, partners, and investors by institutionalizing the process of scaling consumer-centric brands. Courtney and Carter currently live in Los Angeles, where they run day-to-day operations at M13.
"Owning a business is a gladiator’s game and in today’s modern economy, success requires both the mindset and strategies embodied by Courtney and Carter Reum. They have generously pulled back the curtain to reveal the tools and tactics that many of the most successful startups use to disrupt, scale and succeed."
– Tony Robbins, #1 New York Times Bestselling Author, Business Strategist, Philanthropist, Entrepreneur
"Courtney and Carter started out in Investment banking, an industry historically known for burnout. In becoming entrepreneurs, the brothers have learned that stress and burnout are not badges of honor, but rather hindrances to long-term success. Shortcut Your Startup shows you how to launch a sustainable startup so that both you and your business can thrive."
– Arianna Huffington, Founder & CEO of Thrive Global, Huffington Post and International Bestselling Business Author
"The Internet’s Third Wave is upon us. Shortcut Your Startup is a helpful guide for entrepreneurs who want to lead the way."
– Steve Case, Co-Founder and CEO of AOL, Chairman of AOL Time Warner, Bestselling Author, Chairman & CEO of Revolution LLC
"What makes this book great is that it is both practical and personal. Sharing their life and business lessons openly is a gift to all us entrepreneurs.Thank you Courtney and Carter!"
– Blake Mycoskie, Founder & CEO of TOMS Shoes
"Cultivating relationships is one of the keys to business success. In Shortcut Your Startup, Courtney and Carter share the best insights from their own ventures as well as what they’ve learned through their vast network."
– Keith Ferrazzi, Bestselling Author of Never Eat Alone and Who’s Got Your Back, CEO of Ferrazzi Greenlight
"Shortcut Your Startup is essential reading for anyone who wants to build the industries of tomorrow."
– Eric Garcetti, Mayor of Los Angeles
"Want to be an entrepreneur? You Sure? Here is a great test-checklist-guide from two great startup gurus who have been there and done that…"
– Juan Enriquez, Excel Venture Management, Professor at Harvard Business School
"In Shortcut Your Startup, Carter and Courtney echo what we increasingly know to be true: entrepreneurial success isn’t about pedigree and popularity but about pounding the pavement, taking smart risks and trusting your instincts."
– Sophia Amoruso, Founder of Girlboss and Nasty Gal
"Shortcut Your Startup is the handbook for the future founders of the world’s culturally relevant brands. It is hands down a must-read for consumer products entrepreneurs and anyone thinking of starting a business in today’s media and technology-driven landscapex."
– Troy Carter, CEO & Founder of Atom Factory, Global Head of Creator Services at Spotify