Plus, receive recommendations and exclusive offers on all of your favorite books and authors from Simon & Schuster.
Programming for Musicians and Digital Artists
Creating music with ChucK
Table of Contents
About The Book
Programming for Musicians and Digital Artists: Creating Music with ChucK offers a complete introduction to programming in the open source music language ChucK. In it, you'll learn the basics of digital sound creation and manipulation while you discover the ChucK language. As you move example-by-example through this easy-to-follow book, you'll create meaningful and rewarding digital compositions and "instruments" that make sound and music in direct response to program logic, scores, gestures, and other systems connected via MIDI or the network.
Purchase of the print book includes a free eBook in PDF, Kindle, and ePub formats from Manning Publications.
About this Book
A digital musician must manipulate sound precisely. ChucK is an audio-centric programming language that provides precise control over time, audio computation, and user interface elements like track pads and joysticks. Because it uses the vocabulary of sound, ChucK is easy to learn even for artists with little or no exposure to computer programming.
Programming for Musicians and Digital Artists offers a complete introduction to music programming. In it, you'll learn the basics of digital sound manipulation while you learn to program using ChucK. Example-by-example, you'll create meaningful digital compositions and "instruments" that respond to program logic, scores, gestures, and other systems connected via MIDI or the network. You'll also experience how ChucK enables the on-the-fly musical improvisation practiced by communities of "live music coders" around the world.
Written for readers familiar with the vocabulary of sound and music. No experience with computer programming is required.
- Learn ChucK and digital music creation side-by-side
- Invent new sounds, instruments, and modes of performance
- Written by the creators of the ChucK language
About the Authors
Perry Cook, Ajay Kapur, Spencer Salazar, and Ge Wang are pioneers in the area of teaching and programming digital music. Ge is the creator and chief architect of the ChucK language.
Table of Contents
- Introduction: ChucK programming for artists
PART 1 INTRODUCTION TO PROGRAMMING IN CHUCK
- Basics: sound, waves, and ChucK programming
- Libraries: ChucK's built-in tools
- Arrays: arranging and accessing your compositional data
- Sound files and sound manipulation
- Functions: making your own tools
- Unit generators: ChucK objects for sound synthesis and processing
- Synthesis ToolKit instruments
- Multithreading and concurrency: running many programs at once
- Objects and classes: making your own ChucK power tools
- Events: signaling between shreds and syncing to the outside world
- Integrating with other systems via MIDI, OSC, serial, and more
PART 2 NOW IT GETS REALLY INTERESTING!
- Publisher: Manning (January 15, 2015)
- Length: 344 pages
- ISBN13: 9781617291708
Browse Related Books
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Programming for Musicians and Digital Artists 1st Edition Trade Paperback 9781617291708
You may also like: Thriller and Mystery Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.