Reading Group Guide
A GUIDE FOR READING GROUPS
THE GRADUATION OF JAKE MOON
By Barbara Park
ABOUT THE BOOK
Fourteen-year-old Jake Moon recalls the last four years of life with his beloved grandfather who has Alzheimer's disease.
Alzheimer's disease; Grandfathers; Families; Responsibilities; School stories
- Do you understand how Jake can be so embarrassed by yet still love his grandfather? How would you react?
- How would your life change if someone in your family required constant care because of Alzheimer's? For what other reasons would someone require care?
- Why do Jake and his cousin James not get along? What do they not understand about each other?
- Using the contact information at the end of the book, begin to find out more about Alzheimer's disease.
- If there is a local Alzheimer's care center in the area, invite a caseworker, caregiver, or a family member to share their experiences and knowledge.
- Contact the local police department and television stations to discover how they approach a missing family member. What do they both need and how does their help differ?
Please visit http://www.emporia.edu/libsv/wawbookaward/ for more information about the awards and to see curriculum guides for other master list titles.