Where Are You Now?
Mac's sister Carolyn is now 26, a law school graduate, and has just been hired as an assistant district attorney in Manhattan. She has endured two family tragedies -- her brother's inexplicable disappearance, and the loss of her father. Realizing that neither she nor her mother will ever be able to have closure and get on with their lives until they find her brother, she sets out to discover what happened to Mac, and why he has found it necessary to hide from them.
Her journey into the world of people who willingly disappear from their own lives leads her to learn about others who may or may not still be alive, and ultimately to a deadly confrontation with someone close to her who suddenly becomes an enemy -- and cannot allow her to disclose his secret...
Mary Higgins Clark, Queen of Suspense
Videos related to this book
Hear an Excerpt
Reading Group Guide
Mary Higgins Clark
Questions and Topics for Discussion
1. Carolyn has a dream about Mack, “following a shadowy figure who was walking across a bridge. . . . I heard him calling me, his voice mournful and troubled. Carolyn, stay back, stay back.” (6) What do you think this dream means? Why must Carolyn “stay back?” What does the bridge symbolize?
2. What role does media exposure play in Mack and Leesey’s cases? Does the media help or hinder the investigation? The killer freely admits, “I like the headlines.” (111) Why does he crave media attention? What steps does he take to keep Leesey and Mack in the headlines?
3. Aaron Klein observes, “Elliott can’t mention Olivia MacKenzie’s name without getting stars in his eyes.” (56) Do you think Elliott genuinely loves Olivia, or is his affection another part of his false identity? Explain your answer.
4. Carolyn confides in Nick about her mother, “Mack was always her favorite. He did everything right. I’m too impulsive for Mom’s taste.” (194) Do you think Carolyn is right about her mother’s preference? How does this belief fuel her determination to find Mack?
5. Chapter 21 reveals the mind of the serial killer for the first time. What does the murderer’ see more