- Simon & Schuster Audio |
- 8 disks |
- ISBN 9781442339705 |
- September 2010
How Book Clubs Go Beyond the Book
Videos related to this book
Hear an Excerpt
Reading Group Guide
Topics & Questions for Discussion
1. Though The Glass Castle is brimming with unforgettable stories, which scenes were the most memorable for you? Which were the most shocking, the most inspiring, the funniest?
2. Discuss the metaphor of a glass castle and what it signifies to Jeannette and her father. Why is it important that, just before leaving for New York, Jeannette tells her father that she doesn't believe he'll ever build it? (p. 238).
3. The first story Walls tells of her childhood is that of her burning herself severely at age three, and her father dramatically takes her from the hospital: "You're safe now" (p. 14). Why do you think she opens with that story, and how does it set the stage for the rest of the memoir?
4. Rex Walls often asked his children, "Have I ever let you down?" Why was this question (and the required "No, Dad" response) so important for him -- and for his kids? On what occasions did he actually come through for them?
5. Jeannette's mother insists that, no matter what, "life with your father was never boring" (p. 288). What kind of man was Rex Walls? What were his strengths and weaknesses, his flaws and contradictions?
6. Discuss Rose Mary Walls. What did you think about her description of herself as an "excitement addict"? (p. 93).
7. Though it portrays an incredibly hardscrabble life, The Glass Cas see more
Behind the Book
Behind the Book: The Glass Castle Jeannette Walls
Behind the Book: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Memoirs are subjective. That’s the conceit—this is one person’s perspective on his or her life. None of my siblings has contradicted a single fact in The Glass Castle, but if any of them had written about our lives, it would have had an entirely different tone and perspective. To me, the whole point of writing a memoir is to say, here is the story of my life, and maybe you can learn something fr