The Flame of Olympus
When Pegasus crashes onto a Manhattan roof during a terrible storm, thirteen-year-old Emily’s life changes forever. Suddenly allied with a winged horse she’d always thought was mythical, Emily is thrust into the center of a fierce battle between the Roman gods and a terrifying race of multiarmed stone warriors called the Nirads. Emily must team up with a thief named Paelen, the goddess Diana, and a mortal boy named Joel in order to return Pegasus to Olympus and rescue the gods from a certain death.
Along the way, Emily and her companions will fight monsters, run from a government agency that is prepared to dissect Pegasus, and even fly above the Manhattan skyline—all as part of a quest to save Olympus before the Olympic flame burns out.
- Aladdin |
- 416 pages |
- ISBN 9781442444102 |
- May 2013 |
- Grades 3 - 7 |
- Lexile ® 620L
Reading Group Guide
The Flame of Olympus
by Kate O’Hearn
1. What were your first impressions of Paelen? How did your opinion of him change through the course of the book? In general, would you characterize him as a villain or a hero?
2. The storm at the beginning of the book causes a massive blackout in New York City. Have you ever experienced a blackout? What things can people do to remain safe during a blackout? What precautions can you take, before and during severe storms?
3. When Emily meets Pegasus on the roof of her building, she “felt her world changing.” Have you ever experienced a moment that felt life-changing? What was the moment, and how did it affect your life?
4. When we meet Joel, he is angry and withdrawn. What causes his tough exterior to wear off?
5. Joel knows a lot about Olympus from studying Roman (and Greek) myths. What is a myth? Why do myths exist? What purpose do they serve?
6. Each Olympian possesses a special power or strength—even Paelen, the thief! What power or strength would you choose for yourself, if you lived on Olympus?
7. Although Emily and Joel are not Olympians, they demonstrate remarkable qualities. What earthly power or strength would you say they possess, respectively?
8. Kate O’Hearn crafted bold, sensitive, and m see more