“Firefly Hollow will set your heart aglow” (ALA Booklist, starred review).
Firefly doesn’t merely want to fly, she wants to touch the moon. Cricket doesn’t merely want to sing about baseball, he wants to catch. When these two little creatures with big dreams wander out of Firefly Hollow, refusing to listen to their elders, they find themselves face-to-face with the one creature they were always told to stay away from…a giant.
But Peter is a Miniature Giant. They’ve always been told that a Miniature Giant is nothing but a Future Giant, but this one just isn’t quite as big or as scary as the other Giants. Peter has a dream of his own, as well as memories to escape. He is overwhelmed with sadness, and a summer with his new unlikely friends Firefly and Cricket might be just what he needs. Can these friends’ dreams help them overcome the past?
Firefly Hollow is nothing short of enchanting, reminding us all that the very best friend is the one who encourages you to achieve your dreams. Full-color tip-in illustrations and dozens of black-and-white drawings provide added glow.
- Atheneum Books for Young Readers |
- 304 pages |
- ISBN 9781442498129 |
- August 2015 |
- Grades 3 - 7 |
- Lexile ® 690L
Reading Group Guide
By Alison McGhee
About the Book
Cricket and Firefly are different from all the other crickets and fireflies—they have dreams for their lives. Because of this, they’re both seen as strange to the others in the hollow, and they are teased mercilessly, and all because they aren’t just like everybody else. When the two loners run away to meet the miniature giant who lives by the river, they commence on an adventure that may just lead to the fulfillment of their dreams. Young Peter, the miniature giant, can see and hear them, and he teaches them new lessons about life. Cricket and Firefly, with the help of a river vole who is also seeking a dream, ultimately learn that when you follow your dreams, no matter how crazy they might seem to others, life is full of unexpected possibilities.
1. How does Firefly and Elder’s relationship begin? Why does Elder continue to protect and educate Firefly?
2. Why are Firefly’s and Cricket’s classmates so impatient with them? Why do they sometimes say mean things to them? How do their teachers respond both to Firefly and Cricket and the other students?
3. How does Gloria’s accident affect Cricket? How does Cricket use her accident to help him persuade others to think like him?
4. Why is Vole the only river vol see more