A Nevermore Book
A Nevermore Book
While Varen remains a prisoner in a perilous dream world where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life, Isobel travels to Baltimore to confront the dark figure known throughout the world as the Poe Toaster. This man, the same man who once appeared to Isobel in her dreams and abandoned her in Varen’s nightmare world, holds the key to saving Varen.
But when Isobel discovers a way to return to this dream world, she finds herself swept up in a realm that not only holds remnants of Edgar Allan Poe’s presence, but one that has taken on the characteristics of Varen’s innermost self. It is a dark world of fear, terror, and anger.
When Isobel once more encounters Varen, she finds him changed. And now Isobel must face a new adversary—one who also happens to be her greatest love.
- Atheneum Books for Young Readers |
- 464 pages |
- ISBN 9781442402065 |
- August 2013 |
- Grades 7 and up
Reading Group Guide
Enshadowed: A Nevermore Book
By Kelly Creagh
The information, activities, and discussion questions that follow are intended to enhance your reading of Enshadowed. Please feel free to adapt these materials to suit your needs and interests.
1. The novel’s prologue describes Poe’s final hours. What images and emotions from the prologue are reflected in Isobel’s state of mind in the opening chapters of the novel? What are the states of Isobel’s family relationships and school friendships as the story begins?
2. Describe Isobel’s chapter one encounter with Varen. What images and ideas presented in this first chapter foreshadow the entire story to come? After having finished reading the novel, reread chapter one and explain what elements of the ending are actually revealed to the reader in these early pages.
3. Isobel recalls previous meetings with the dream character “Reynolds,” who at various times acted as both ally and enemy. What special identity does she believe Reynolds is concealing? How does she hope this identity can help lead her to Varen?
4. Why does Isobel hesitate to tell Gwen the whole story of what happened on Halloween? What does Gwen help Isobel discover about Lilith? Do you think Isobel would have ever made it to Poe’s Baltimore gravesite without Gwe see more