Victor hates his life. He has no friends, gets beaten up at school, and his parents are always criticizing him. Tired of feeling miserable, Victor takes a bottle of his mother’s sleeping pills—only to wake up in the hospital.
Bull is angry, and takes all of his rage out on Victor. That makes him feel better, at least a little. But it doesn’t stop Bull’s grandfather from getting drunk and hitting him. So Bull tries to defend himself with a loaded gun.
When Victor and Bull end up as roommates in the same psych ward, there’s no way to escape each other or their problems. Which means things are going to get worse—much worse—before they get better.
- Simon Pulse |
- 336 pages |
- ISBN 9781442429178 |
- December 2012 |
- Grades 9 and up
CRACKED by K.M. Walton
Reading Group Guide
By K.M. Walton
1. Who do you think had worse parents, Bull or Victor? Why do you think that?
2. Who do you think made the most personal growth by the end of the book, Bull or Victor? Explain.
3. Do you think Bull or Victor would have survived if they hadn’t ended up in the psych ward? Why or why not?
4. Who do you think influenced Bull the most? How about Victor?
5. If you met Victor right now, what would you say to him? How about Bull?
6. Put yourself in Victor’s shoes. What would you do differently? The same? How about if you were in Bull’s shoes? Explain your answers.
7. At what point in Cracked do you feel Bull grows as a human being? How about Victor? What makes you think that?
8. Think of one prediction you had while reading the book and reflect on it. Did it happen? If not, what happened instead? How did making the prediction and reflecting on it help you to understand the book better?
1. Write a letter to Victor or Bull as if he were your best friend. What would you tell him?
2. Describe the part in Cracked that impacted you the most.
3. Describe the most courageous part of Cracked. Explain it in detail. What made this scene/part so daring?
4. Ma see more